Sunday, January 07, 2007

Oakland-IUPUI FOX Detroit notes

I watched this game on tape delay on FCS Atlantic Friday morning.

1. Mario Impemba, the TV voice of the Detroit Tigers, did the play-by-play with MUS alum Greg Kelser providing the color commentary. This was the 2nd of 5 games (I believe) that will be picked up this season by FOX Sports Detroit. The first one was Oakland's 10 pt. victory over Toledo, which somehow my DVR failed to record even though I had it scheduled.

2. This game was almost an instant replay of last year's FOX Sports Detroit OU-IUPUI game, where the Grizzlies led by 20 at the half, only to lose by 1 in OT. This year's 2nd half momentum swing was not quite as dramatic, but IUPUI did come all the way back from a 17-pt deficit to cut it to 2 with a minute or 2 left in the game.

3. Geroge Hill is back, maybe not 100% yet, but close enough. Teams that thought they might avoid him this year will be disappointed. He had a good game all things considered, though he fouled out down the stretch.

4. Shawn Hopes was a force on the offensive boards, getting put-back after put-back. The Jags could not seem to box him out.

5. Erik Kangas had a very good night from behind the arc.

6. In live chat during the Valpo-Cenntenary game on Thursay, another VU fan asked who people thought would be the one team that would make the most significant improvement this season, now that conference play has begun. After but a moment's thought, I said Oakland. I'm not sure Valpo has what it takes to make such a decisive improvement, though obviously I hope I'm wrong. I don't see UMKC and Western Illinois doing anything but flounder the rest of the way, based on what I have seen so far. Centenary, Southern Utah, and ORU both played well relative to preseason expectations, and probably will continue to do so at the same level. I'm not sure what to make of the Jaguars, they feel like a wildcard right now. I suspect the same can be said for them, except they probably have NOT played well relative to their preseason expectations, and I'm not convinced they'll show a significant improvement during conference play.

7. Oakland, on the other hand expected (I think) to do better than they have so far, and they seem to be turning it up a notch already, though they have a freshman point guard and the last few minutes of the IUPUI game were disappointing to Greg Kampe because they had trouble keeping IUPUI at bay. Still, I sense big things coming from OU during conference play, and they are my pick for biggest improvement, especially if Hopes can cotinnue his inspired play down low and Kangas can shoot the 3 consistently. One thing that is certainly missing is the Mike-Helms-type ball-hog mentality, and that has to be a good thing.

No comments: